How long do pugs live and how to get them healthier?
So you've just adopted your first Pug or are thinking of and you want to know how long Pugs live for? Or what is a Pug's life expectancy?
Then you've come to the right place! Keep reading to find out how long Pugs live for, what to look out for to ensure your Pug has a long and healthy life and tips to extend your Pug's life expectancy.
How long do pugs live?
Pugs are among the top-ten longest living small dog breeds in the world. Their average life expectancy is between 12-15 years.
Whilst Pugs are high-maintenance pets when it comes to overheating and breathing issues, they luckily are not prone to many deadly genetic disorders.
Generally, healthy Pugs that weigh between 10 to 25 pounds live the longest. (Click here if you're interested in how big pugs get.) So make sure to exercise your Pug regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
PRO TIP: Make sure to check out the best harness for a pug!
If you want to increase you Pug's lifespan, here are three main things to look out for:
1) Encephalitis - which is a swelling of your dog's brain that can cause seizures, lethargy, and loss of muscle control.
2) Infections - make sure to clean the folds between your Pug's face. This area is prone to a build-up of bacteria, which can cause unnecessary infections. Aside from this make sure that your Pug is up-to-date on all its vaccinations and are regularly treated for heartworm, ticks, and fleas.
3) Congenital diseases - any sort of diseases that they are born with such as heart defects such as irregular heartbeats. The earlier that you diagnose the conditions, the better chance you have of managing the disease in the long run.
Other things that you can do to extend the lifespan of your Pug:
- Take your Pug regularly to the Vet.
- Be careful around water. Pugs aren't the best swimmers.
- Don't overfeed your Pug. Ensure that your Pug maintains a bodyweight of between 10 to 25 pounds.
We hope you enjoyed this article. Whilst you're here, why don't you enjoy this adorable Pug compilation! Enjoy.